Homemade Soup...

Because it's been so cold in Jackson lately, I've found myself making a lot of soup to warm us up. I used to just warm up a can of whatever we found at the grocery store- but I'm not a huge fan of all the sodium and preservatives found in many of them. So I've started making my own, healthier versions at home.

Here's the recipe for my quick and easy vegetable soup:

Ingredients:
  1. 2 cups of brown or white rice
  2. 1/2 of a brown onion
  3. 1 clove of garlic
  4. 1 bell pepper
  5. 1- 2 large carrots
  6. 1 cucumber
  7. 1/2 Package of Tofu
  8. chicken, vegetable, or beef broth
  9. soy sauce
  10. extra virgin olive oil
Cook 2 cups of rice and set aside. I do this earlier in the day so the rice is ready when I go to make the soup.

Saute the onion in 2 tblspns of evoo on medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Next add the garlic and saute with the onion for about a minute- remove the garlic before it burns. Next add in the chopped bell peppers (I used green.) While the peppers and onion are cooking, skin your carrots and add slivers to pot. Follow with chopped cucumbers.

After cucumbers have warmed through, add tofu and soy sauce. I use about 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce. Stir and let sit for about 1 minute. Add the rice and a bit more soy sauce. After the rice warms through- add broth (I used a low sodium, organic beef broth).

Let simmer until warm and then serve. This soup is great for cold days and very filling. Serves about 4-5 people as a main course.

Comments

  1. Mmmm I love soup. I'm soaking beans tonight so we can eat our typical beans-rice-salsa-tortilla meal (that we eat at least 3-6 times a week) and so I can make a black bean soup. Yummmmmm. Soup is delicious!!!!! Soup or chili on a cold day is the best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts