The Unread Library

I am a lover of the written word.


Stacks of magazines and books are enveloped around my house. I love reading and on a range of different topics. I always find myself purchasing new books at the bookstore, I subscribe to about 15 different magazines (it used to be 35 so I'm improving) and I'm also a member of Swaptree (trading books with other people and only paying for shipping). But I find that with my crazy, busy schedule, I rarely get around to finishing... or even starting many of them.

So the other day when I was reading through Jules' blog Pancakes and French Fries, I saw that she had created The Unread Library: a list of books she currently owns but has not yet read. She's decided to not purchase another book until each one has been read as well. Wooh! After looking through all of my titles, that may take me awhile- but I'm inspired to follow suit.


So here we go: Here is my Unread Library!


*Northanger Abbey: Jane Austen

*Tally's Corner: Elliot Liebow

*The Works of Banjo Patterson

*The Age of Innocence: Edith Whaton

*The Call of the Wild: Jack London

*Night: Elie Wiesel

*Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas

*Ishi, Last of His Tribe: Theodora Kroeber

*The Fountainhead: Ayn Rand

*Selected Essays, Lectures, and Poems: Ralph Waldo Emerson (reading)

*After the Funeral: Agatha Christie

*Just Take My Heart: Mary Higgins Clark (reading)

*Walden: Henry David Thoreau (reading)

*They Call Me Coach: John Wooden

*My Story: Ingrid Bergman

*The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

*Ernest Hemingway on Writing

*The Joyful Christian: C. S. Lewis

*For One More Day: Mitch Albom

*The Devil in the White City: Erik Larson

*Jane Eyre: Charlotte Bronte (Read half forever ago now I think I need to start over)

*The Woman in White: Wilkie Collins

*The Short Stories: Ernest Hemingway

*Zen in the Art of Writing: Ray Bradbury

*The Mystery of Creation: Watchman Nee

*Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess: Fischer/ Margulies/ Mosenfelder

*Hughes: Richard Hack

*Thirteen Senses: Victor Villasenor

*Soul Surfer: Betthany Hamilton

*90 Minutes in Heaven: Don Piper

*Gracie: George Burns

*Eat, Pray, Love: Elizabeth Gilbert

*The Shadow of Your Smile: Mary Higgins Clark

*As I Lay Dying: William Faulkner

*A Mind Awake: C. S. Lewis

*The Great Dinosaur Mystery Solved: Ken Ham

*The Black Tulip: Alexandre Dumas

*The Ragamuffin Gospel: Brennan Manning

*The Purpose Driven Life: Rick Warren

*The Marth Rules: Martha Stewart

*It's Easy Being Green: Crissy Trask

*The Five Love Languages: Gary Chapman

*The Case for Christ: Lee Strobel

*Entertaining is Fun: Dorothy Draper

*The Newman's Own Organics Guide to a Good Life: Nell Newman

*A Year in the World: Frances Mayes (I have read this book 3/4 of the way through about 4 times already and will not finish it because I love it so much)

*The Bible (Finished New Testament- and currently on 5th book of Old)


With all of these books, plus the ones that I've read, plus all of my magizines- my house is a crazy place. I dream of a home with a library someday- with a moving ladder- and plush chairs- awwhhh. Someday.

So what about you? What's your unread library consist of?


(Image source here)

Comments

  1. I have a ton of unread books on my shelves too. I really enjoyed The Devil In The White City.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a great list of books! I already see some I want to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa, that's quite a list. The Fountainhead is a great book, but it's a bit of a commitment to start that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just borrowed the following from the library:

    "How to Meditate: A Guide to Self-Discovery" by Lawrence LeShan

    "Becoming Fully Human: The Greatest Glory of God" by Joan Chittister

    "What We Ache For: Creativity and the Unfolding of Your Soul" by Oriah Mountain Dreamer (this one is a little silly, I think... we'll see)

    "Understanding Marijuana: A New Look at the Scientific Evidence" by Mitch Earleywine (I don't smoke but the more I read about cannabis the more I wonder why it's so demonized)

    Annnnnd I recently bought:

    "The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference" by Malcolm Gladwell

    "Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections Between Sexuality and Spirituality" by Rob Bell

    "The World is Flat: A Brief History of the 21st Century" by Thomas L. Friedman

    "Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution -- And How It Can Renew America" by Thomas L. Friedman (my husband read both Friedman books and liked them a lot)


    Man. I think I need some good fiction in there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda: I've been looking forward to reading that ever since my urban planning classes in college. I think that may be the next one on my list.

    Jules: You're my inspiration for all of this! Thanks for providing the great idea!

    Justin- I know- I'm a bit intimidated every time I even consider it... I feel like I'll need a lot of time for that one

    Jessica: wow- good for you- you're got a whole lot on your reading plate- let me know how you like them. I still need to make my way over to our library- is there a pretty good selection in there?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts