Holiday Baking 3: Nell's Wonderful Peanut Butter Cookies

I realize my last few posts have been a bit sugar heavy... but I can't let up just yet. Here's a recipe for some yummy chocolate chip peanut butter cookies I made last night- so good. My notes are again in red.
Nell’s Wonderful Peanut Butter Cookies from the 1930’s. Heirloom Baking with the Brass Sisters by Marilyn Brass and Sheila Brass (Recipe taken from Food & Wine Best of the Best vol.10)

Makes 42 Cookies (Mine made 33)

Ingredients:
1 ¼ cups flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup butter
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
½ cup smooth brown peanut butter
1 egg
½ cup broken salted peanuts (not dry- roasted) (I left these out since I didn’t have any on hand)
½ mini chocolate chips (I used regular)


1. Set the oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cover a 14 inch by 16 inch baking sheet with foil, shiny side up. Coat the foil with vegetable spray or use silicon liner (I’m lazy and didn’t do either)
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. (I whisked them together)
3. Cream butter, brown sugar, sugar, and peanut butter in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add egg and mix thoroughly. Add sifter dry ingredients. Fold in peanuts and chocolate chips.

4. Chill dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or until it is firm enough to handle with floured hands or wearing disposable gloves (I went ahead and skipped this step since my dough was already firm enough), roll dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Place balls on baking sheet 2 inches apart and flatten with the bottom of a glass dipped in flour. Bake 12 minutes (Since I live in the mountains, I baked mine for 11 minutes). Cool on rack. Store between sheets of parchment paper or waxed paper in a covered tin.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts