Cilantro Slaw

Living up here in the 'ol west, I've grown a little fond of cowboy cookbooks. They generally include organic ingredients native to mountain regions like huckleberries and wild game- which I love. So when I saw this Big Sky Cooking by Ellen Wright and Meredith Brokaw (yes- Tom's wife), I was excited to try out some of the recipes.

This first one here is an easy one. The ingredients are simple, tasty, and affordable- but the flavors are both crisp & delicious.

The suggested serving size is 6-8 people. I normally would have cut this in half since it's just Danny & I, but I figured we could eat the rest as leftovers. Oh my goodness! This recipe could feed an army! If you made this and took it to a party- you'd still have leftovers! Talk about a cost effective dish. So if it's only 2 of you- I recommend cutting this baby in half... or if you're a rule breaking, crazy, slaw eating, bunch- go wild my friends

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium head white cabbage, finely shredded
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, & chopped
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a large bowl, mix together the cabbage and onion. Add the cilantro and cucumber and toss lightly. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean dishtowel and refrigerate.

In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Set aside.

About 1 hour before serving, pour half the dressing onto the slaw and toss lightly. Refrigerate until serving time. Use the remaining dressing for salads, grilled veggies, or for next day servings of this dish.


Recipe from Big Sky Cooking


Pin It

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts