Mountain Living Adventures: Cutting Down Our Own Christmas Tree

Although we've lived in the mountains of Wyoming a few years now, we've never cut down our own tree. Perhaps because we used to live in town or because it was just easier to pick one up in some random lot, but either way- we were totally missing out. Because it was so much fun! Even my husband (who's not a Scrooge when it comes to Christmas... but who's not giddy about all things Christmas like myself either) had a good time. 

We started off by going to the Forest Service and picking up a permit. All trees up to 12' are just $10- Hello savings! Danny & I usually spend upwards of $60 so this was awesome in itself. They gave us a map of all the forest areas still open to cutting and we headed out.


We tried a place about 20 minutes south of us and parked the car on a random road. I don't know what I was expecting: someone to check our permit, wave us in, people, a sign that said, "Christmas Tree Cutting Here!"- something- but there was only us. And besides the wind rustling between the trees, it was completely silent.


So we got out of the car and started hiking around the hills... looking for the absolute perfect tree.


It's not like a Christmas tree lot where they all kind of look the same save for a bare spot or two. These babies were all over the place

Don't mess with this guy- he has two saws... I don't know why... maybe he was planning on having me help... haha


And then after about a good 15 minutes- we saw it- the perfect Christmas tree. So Danny picked his favorite of the two saws, cut it down in less than 5 minutes, and started trimming some of the lower branches off (which I took for a wreath I'll be making)

He's such a good sport.

So we Danny strapped the tree to the top of our roof with a few tie downs and we were off. So easy!

Here's our tree in the house... fulfilling it's Christmas destiny (kudos to anyone who knows what show that's from)

Danny and I are definitely going to do this each year that we can. Because any activity where it's snowing, your toes are frozen, and you still have a really great time is worth doing again.

If you're interested in cutting down your own tree as well, call your local forest service office. They should be able to tell you if you can, the cost, and where to go. All you need is a hand saw and it's a great date with your friends, kids, or significant other.

Comments

  1. How fun!! And $10, wow! That wouldn't even buy the teeniest tiniest tree in NYC!

    And a tree fulfilling its Christmas destiny - is that from Friends, where Phoebe feels bad for the Christmas trees? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun experience! And you can't beat that price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @BigAppleNosh- nice! It's kind of scary how much we both know FRIENDS by heart... but also kind of awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, I was going to say Friends and then I looked up and saw that you had already written it! I swear I knew already. I swear it. :)

    I'm going to cut my own tree (I hope!) this weekend. I can't wait for the smell and decorating and having a warm, glowing presence in my living room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @GypsyinJasper I totally believe you! lol It's scary how much Friends dialogue makes it into my life. And have fun this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how fun--makes your tree that much more special!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you guys had fun, I wish there were more native areas around here to get trees freshly. Nothing beats a freshly chopped christmas tree.

    -Samudaworth Tree Service

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts